Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Things to Throw at a City

So while thinking of songs for the playlists, I noticed that all the songs I picked are generally peaceful songs. I'm still working on songs that flow together, somewhat, and that they all generally share a common idea in their message. All the songs I chose also are songs that, to me, would be awesome to listen to whenever I'm in the city. I soon came up with the title of the play list as Things to Throw at a City. Upon coming up with songs to put on the playlist, I thought of Leonard Cohen. Leonard Cohen has been creeping around in my brain since I wrote him down for the playlist. All of his songs are amazing. Leonard is quite a legend, and you can throw on any of his songs and be put to a profound state of ease. I chose to use Chelsea Hotel No. 2. I first heard this song as a cover from a little folk-punk singer, Paul Baribeau. He played the song for a website called ifyoumakeit.com for their "pink couch sessions" where little bands in the folk-punk/lo-fi/folk genres play a song on a pink couch either acoustic or electric, mainly acoustic. Now these aren't songs that are well structured, in fact, these are quite the opposite. These songs are crappy songs played and sung by crappy musicians, but I still adore everything about it. Paul played the song very upbeat like all of his songs and with more emotion than I've ever seen come out of him. But I've been listening to Leonard Cohen a lot today and I've fallen more and more in love with each song.

Leonard Cohen wrote the popular Hallelujah(not to be confused with Paramore's song) that has been covered by numerous artists such as Regina Spektor and Rufus Wainwright. Leonard's lyrics are also only really felt when coming from his slow, deep, older, and wiser voice. He's a force to be reckoned with.

So here's the real point, I think I should try and set my goal to 10 bands on this playlist, but heres what I have so far, go take a listen and tell me what you think. Youtube your little hearts out.

1) Indiana -Watercolor Paintings
2) Skinny Love -Bon Iver (I may change the song to For Emma, Forever Ago try both songs and let me know which one you prefer)
3) Chelsea Hotel No. 2 -Leonard Cohen
4) No Cars Go -Arcade Fire
5) In the Aeroplane Over the Sea -Neutral Milk Hotel
6) Needle in the Hay -Elliot Smith
7) Cecilia -Simon and Garfunkel

1 comment:

Do me a solid