Thursday, December 17, 2009

Space, and why I can't go there.

So lately I've been pretty sad. But before I tell you what I've been sad about, you have to know how I think. I think logically, but with a different view than others. I've been told I'm "an intellectual thinker" and I feel weird accepting that title, I'd rather just call myself curious. So, why I've been sad:

Last year I started noticing the stars at night and the moon and how the night time seems to make me feel. I love space, in fact, I want to go to the moon in the worst way, but for me, it's impossible. I realized this after hearing a quote on a show I watch every now and then called Futurama. Here's the quote:

"Oh. I never told anybody this, but a thousand years ago I used to look up at the moon and dream about being an astronaut. I just didn't have the grades. Or the physical endurance. Plus I threw up a lot, and nobody liked spending a week with me." -Fry

A humorous quote, yes, but the message is pretty much the same for me. It's painful to see something so beautiful and know you'll never be able to touch it, but I suppose that may be why I'm so infatuated with a giant rock in space. The fact that something only very few and fortunate people can experience my dream hurts. I'm so used to having things my way, and this is just shattering to me. I feel like a 5 year old because of my id, but I can't help it. And I dare you to go upstate and look at those stars and tell me that they aren't beautiful and that you wish there was just one other person you could share that moment with because seeing it alone would be too much for one person.

So today, instead of lyrics from a song, I'm leaving pictures for you all. Maybe it'll help those who don't understand why I want to go so badly. And yes, I'm a firm believer in other life forms beyond our knowledge.

http://www.emathclass.com/pictures/gods-eye.jpg

http://wanderingspace.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/space-walk.jpg

http://originalbeauty.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/spiral20galaxy.jpg

http://rriderlausd.org/blog2/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/galaxy.jpg

http://betsydevine.com/blog/pictures/MoonFlip.gif

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1152/1468750051_b0e4e6d2ed.jpg

http://www.ref6.com/images/P7078920.jpg

6 comments:

  1. This is a lovely post.

    I leave a song for you - lyrics...

    Have you seen the stars tonight?
    Would you like to go up on A-deck and look at them with me?
    Have you seen the stars tonight?
    Would you like to go up for a stroll and keep me company?

    Did you know
    We could go
    We are free
    Any place
    You can think of
    We can be

    Have you seen the stars tonight?
    Have you looked at all the family of stars?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Space, the final frontier.
    These are the voyages of the star ship Enterprise.
    It's continuing mission: to explore strange, new worlds.
    To seek out new life and new civilizations.
    To boldly go where no one has gone before.

    And some major rainbow connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way, only about time travel. I want to go back to a different time period so badly. It's a weird thing to want. I feel like no matter where I go on earth, I will never be able to find something that I couldn't have believed to be there. It's hard to find something really different than what we already know of. That's why I want the impossible so badly. There's no place more different than a place you didn't think you could be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is another plight of mine in a sense. I get angry knowing that there really isn't much more out there in this world to find. It's upsetting to think that it isn't too likely that someone can find something that no one else has. But maybe that's the meaning of life. We have to find what others have failed to find, it's up to us.

    ReplyDelete

Do me a solid