Tuesday, December 15, 2009

As promised, Tober updates.

Recently, I found that there is no band saw that I am aware of that can cut the Alder blank for the body, so I told Patrick I had no where to go and he suggested I use a coping saw. Great. I have to hand cut out the body of the bass, sand the edges, throw the body in a planer (a planer is a device for shaving off thickness of wood which will help me big time and is VERY necessary for me), establish contours, a profile, and round the horns and the scroll. Sounds like a lot right? Well, it is. While I'm not happy that I have to hand cut the body out, I feel it will make the instrument that much more personal when I finish it and make me appreciate it so much more. After I finish my PiG paper, I'll be able to start working on my bass again after a very long hiatus.

Leah Pupkin: I have your bass (obviously). He's all cleaned up, fixed, tuned, and ready for playing. I'll bring him to you friday in STAC, provided that works for you.

Everyone else: I fix instruments as well. I put that before building/working on any of my own instruments. If any of you have a guitar/bass/mandolin/banjo/ukulele that needs fixing and you want it done well and for free, tell me and I can do it for you. FREE of charge! I apologize for selling myself, but it's a passion of mine. I can fix your instruments during a weekend and get it back to you when ever you need it. After every repair, I clean your instrument, removing any fingerprint or scratch that was ever on the instrument.

Leah lent me her knock-off music man bass (which I love) and I noticed there were a few problems with the instrument. The action was VERY high, the fretboard needed cleaning, and the electronics needed to re-wired better. All of this was addressed in one night. The next thing that needs to be taken care of is new strings are needed, which really isn't bad at all.

Again, anyone need a repair? Tell me and I'll work for free and I promise you'll be satisfied.

2 comments:

  1. Talk to the shop guy vis a vis a band saw not being able to cut Alder. That doesn't sound right to me - alder isn't that hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. problem was solved. I had my friend drive me home and I picked up the blank. It's all cut out, I brought it to the tech club's band saw, it went through it like butter.

    ReplyDelete

Do me a solid