Sunday, November 8, 2009

What has STAC done for me?

I wish I could just say a lot and be done. This is a question that requires a vulnerable answer. It's only the beginning of the second year, and it's almost like it never ended. Artistically, I've grown and changed. I went from writing and playing some music to painting, drawing, writing, playing music seriously, and acting. All this from one class. I'm even on my way to becoming a luthier, which is something I didn't even know existed until a year ago. There's a lot of people to blame for all of this.
The beginning of last year, I was pretty different. I came into the program just writing and knowing a few people, but that changed by October-ish, when everyone was finally comfortable with each other. I knew everyone and could tell you why I loved each person and what they did, it was amazing. Everyone had their thing and when we were together and tried to work as a unit it was something different. It was either amazing or ok. This year, our group has done quite a bit together and it's only been amazing so far. Newbies are finding who they work best with now and I remember when I was in the search of finding someone to work with too. I eventually found that person who turned out to be Jack Morrow.
Jack Morrow, like me, has gone through a big change as a person during his time in STAC, go look at a picture of him from this year and try and find one of him our sophmore year. Different, I know. Jack is a great person. We clicked when we met. People in STAC know us for our inseperable-ness. Jack has a depth to him, it can only be summaraized as, Jack literally plays with people's minds and they don't even realize it, it's great. But enough about him.
I began a friendship with Luke last year and he has become one of my closest friends and my mentour. Last year I experienced two deaths in my family around the same time and I was in a very weird state. I turned to Luke for some sort of guidance and as an understanding friend to vent to. My godmother's mom, Annie, passed away and my Uncle Mike passed as well. Annie was diagnosed with cancer and given only a few months to live, which was really hard. It was like having a little clock over her at all times and it hurt really bad. My uncle had a stroke the beginning of the year and didn't get enough time to recover and he passed. He had a big impact on my life and I wrote to Luke in my blog last year about him and how I was confused and hurt and how all these feelings were in me and I had no way of knowing how to deal with them. Luke is a big person in my life, he's a father figure to me and is always willing to help me and even happier to just talk about random stuff with me and I thank him for all he's done for me. He's helped me grow up and mature, he's a great man that you should all feel comfortable going to.
STAC has gone above and beyond for me. There's something about being in an art room for 3 periods, 5 days a week, with the same people and sharing your experiences with them. STAC forces you to give up your personal space that you would usually have when working, and confronts you, making you work at a table with other artsists, giving them an insight as to what you're doing and how you make something. I admit, I like to leave the table I'm working at sometimes and go to a table by Mr. Ganes' desk where no one usually goes to. The option of being able to get up and walk to another table is empowering and helps me get my work done more.
So, what has STAC done for me? STAC has shown me that I can, but don't have to do things on my own. That was something that I've needed to happen to me for a long time, but I was never given the option until I joined STAC. STAC will always be my second family and when I'm gone away at college, don't any of you think you've heard the last from me, I'll always be a phone call away, waiting to help any of you. That is what STAC has done for me.

2 comments:

Do me a solid