Friday, November 13, 2009

Things I've been doing...

I've been doing quite a bit, actually. I started doing some painting this year, I only have 2 and only 1 that I'm proud of, which reminds me, I need another canvas. I've been, for lack of a better term, doodling around on my acoustic a bit more than usual, which is kinda weird for me, I'm not much of a guitarist. And speaking of guitars, I've been messing with them! As (almost) all of you know, I took the finish and lacquer off my 5-string bass by sanding it down to bare wood and sent it over to Lee-Lee who sketched a design on it and I carved it, threw some Oak stain on the wood, set it back up, and called it a job. After not working on an instrument for a while, I got antsy and bored, so I grabbed my  squire tele, my old epiphone junior model neck and threw it on the tele, it looks pretty good actually, thus the Telephone was born. Then I kinda just made it look old and vintage by lightly sanding over the finish to make it look dull and sanded in some marks to make it look vintage and old. 

Now, I'm being taught, by a STAC alumni, how to build an instrument. I'm building a bass under the guidance of Patrick Goodsell. It's annoying at the moment because I have to band saw out the body from the wood, and finding a band saw is quite difficult. I think I'll be using the school's at tech club and hopefully plane to wood at my friend's house. Once that is done, I can begin sanding the body and establish the sides and rounded scroll. I'll throw up pictures of the process on here and with the other stuff I've been doing lately. 

All the best,
Nick

1 comment:

  1. please upchuck pics. Most of it goes over my head, but instrument-making is still so interesting.

    btw, Cardboard is great for painting. And it's infinitely cheap.

    ReplyDelete

Do me a solid