Monday, September 21, 2009

Rilke Poem

I decided to take Rainer Maria Rilke's poem, To Say Before Going To Sleep, and take lines that I liked and shorten them and re-arrange them and make my own poem out of the poem. I was having difficulty coming up with my own version of the poem, I'm currently in a block, it sucks. Well, enough babble, here's my Rilke.

Clocks are striking,
the house.
Strange dog, wakened.
Eyes hold you gently,
sleep,
or wake.

The night outside was cold,
beyond that,
I sing someone to sleep,
companion,
and listen to you,
outside the world.

I loved this poem because it expresses one of the most intimate things in this life, falling asleep with another person. There is nothing in this world that is more intimate than sleeping (not sex) actually falling asleep in the same bed with someone you love. There's something to be said about retiring to a bed with the one you love, and there's nothing to say, there's nothing that can be said properly. And the more I think about it, the more it makes me want to write. My next post will be a poem, right on the spot too. Those are the best poems.

1 comment:

  1. This is lovely. See??? You can do it, and do it incredibly well.

    ReplyDelete

Do me a solid